Saturday 9 August 2014

Les Paul DIY kit (Part I: Unboxing)

The other day I stumbled across a video log by a guy named Fred Yen wherein he records his building a Les Paul-type guitar from a kit. I don't play guitar, and to be honest, I don't even know where to blow into this damn thing to make a sound. But after having seen him building it, the idea to build one myself seemed just too irresistible. Unfortunately, the kits that appear of a certain quality like this one by Albatross Guitars sold via Amazon are unavailable for people outside the US, because Amazon doesn't ship outside the US. I ended up buying a cheapo New Jersey kit from Gear4Music that has the following features:
  • Bolt-On Neck
  • Basswood Body
  • Maple Neck
  • Rosewood Fingerboard
  • Die-cast Chrome Machine Heads
  • 628mm Scale, 22 Frets
  • 2 Volume, 2 Tone, 3-way Selector
  • Covered Humbucker Pickups
  • Tune-o-matic Bridge
  • Chrome Hardware
As it seems customary now that we have YouTube, I made and intend to continue to make some videos logging my build progress. Or lack thereof. Here's the unboxing video. With cat!


The background music, by the way, is a little quick-and-dirty tune made on a Yamaha MOX6 synthesizer using a preset performance, an electric piano and an acoustic guitar voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment